- Events and Newsletters
- Our Science Classes
- Wgtn Science Groups
Where to next? Human spaceflight at the crossroads.
Presentation by David MacLennan
Where: National Library, 70 Molesworth Street
When: 19 April 2016, 5:30 PM to 6:30PM
Attendance is free but please register at Eventbrite:
NASA’s long-term vision is for a human mission to Mars, but
its strategy for getting there is flawed, as it does not include
the most logical intermediate step: a return to the Moon.
Instead, NASA’s proposed intermediate step is to retrieve a
large boulder from an asteroid and send an astronaut crew
out to investigate it – a plan that is not getting much support
from either Congress or the scientfi c community. A return to
the Moon would be a better way to prepare for a journey to
Mars, as much of the technology needed for a Mars mission,
such as habitats, life-support systems, rovers, tools and
instruments, could be fi rst proven under real off -world
conditions on the Moon. In addition, recent robotic missions
have shown the Moon to be a worthwhile scientific target in
its own right.
About the speaker:
David MacLennan has been lecturing and writing about
space exploration for over four decades. A founder and
former President of the NZ Spacefl ight Association, he
also edited the Association’s journal
Liftoff for many years.
- Blogging on Bees
- Dispatches from Continent Seven: science communication and Antarctica: 6pm, 25th May, RSNZ, Aronui Lecture Theatre, 11 Turnbull Street, Thorndon.
- RSNZ Wellington Branch is proud to present a Public Talk by Dr Catherine Knight on the Environmental History of New Zealand’s Rivers: “Our rivers: learning from the past to create a better future”
- Explaining the Colours of the Spectrum to your Child
- Royal Society of New Zealand Wellington Branch Conference Scholarships 2017
- https://t.co/ynPw5pDH14, Aug 04
- Science Express @ Te Papa https://t.co/CtG1vhZiZn https://t.co/ElK20XHJ3l, Aug 03
- RT @labinaboxnz: @labinaboxnz at Makara Model School near Wellington today. Kids engaging with chemistry. Thanks @curiousmindsnz and… https://t.co/i1ettFNnxN, Aug 03
- RT @royalsocietynz: See @PeterGluckman's thought-provoking speech given for @RSNZWellington on how we weigh risks & benefits of new tec… https://t.co/2RY6oMfNcp, Aug 03
- Thanks @PeterGluckman for your talk on New life science technologies & social license tonight. Public needs to be i… https://t.co/t59SOWtGdp, Aug 02
Wellington Branch Facebook Page