- Events and Newsletters
- Our Science Classes
- Wgtn Science Groups
Where to next? Human spaceflight at the crossroads.
Presentation by David MacLennan
Where: National Library, 70 Molesworth Street
When: 19 April 2016, 5:30 PM to 6:30PM
Attendance is free but please register at Eventbrite:
NASA’s long-term vision is for a human mission to Mars, but
its strategy for getting there is flawed, as it does not include
the most logical intermediate step: a return to the Moon.
Instead, NASA’s proposed intermediate step is to retrieve a
large boulder from an asteroid and send an astronaut crew
out to investigate it – a plan that is not getting much support
from either Congress or the scientfi c community. A return to
the Moon would be a better way to prepare for a journey to
Mars, as much of the technology needed for a Mars mission,
such as habitats, life-support systems, rovers, tools and
instruments, could be fi rst proven under real off -world
conditions on the Moon. In addition, recent robotic missions
have shown the Moon to be a worthwhile scientific target in
its own right.
About the speaker:
David MacLennan has been lecturing and writing about
space exploration for over four decades. A founder and
former President of the NZ Spacefl ight Association, he
also edited the Association’s journal
Liftoff for many years.
- Dispatches from Continent Seven: science communication and Antarctica: 6pm, 25th May, RSNZ, Aronui Lecture Theatre, 11 Turnbull Street, Thorndon.
- RSNZ Wellington Branch is proud to present a Public Talk by Dr Catherine Knight on the Environmental History of New Zealand’s Rivers: “Our rivers: learning from the past to create a better future”
- Explaining the Colours of the Spectrum to your Child
- Royal Society of New Zealand Wellington Branch Conference Scholarships 2017
- Help! We need a Treasurer!
- Fantastic lecture last week by Rebecca Priestley and it was great to see so many of you there. Hope to see all of... https://t.co/SNI8vTRvUT, Jun 01
- Science Express @ Te Papa https://t.co/6Rd4qpn10T https://t.co/ElK20XHJ3l, Jun 01
- Thanks to @RKPriestley for a great talk tonight. A little bit of penguin poetry, some Antarctic history and science… https://t.co/L6sMLxsUCV, May 25
- Don't forget about tonight's lecture - we hope to see you there! https://t.co/jl7WM6t94c, May 25
- RT @VicUniWgtn: Hear #VicUniWgtn expert science communicator @RKPriestley talk all things Antarctica at @RSNZWellington 6pm tomorrow https://t.co/NinrIfwLdO, May 23
Wellington Branch Facebook Page