- Events and Newsletters
- Our Science Classes
- Wgtn Science Groups
The annual scientific public lecture held by the Wellington Branch of the Royal Society of New Zealand
Dr Jan Wright: Parliamentary Commissioner for the Environment
Reflections on a decade as Parliament’s environmental advisor
Dr Jan Wright was sworn in as Parliamentary Commissioner for the Environment for a five-year term on 5 March 2007 and reappointed for a second term in 2012.
Jan has a multidisciplinary background with a BSc(Hons) in Physics from Canterbury, a Masters degree in Energy and Resources from Berkeley in California, and a PhD in Public Policy from Harvard. Last year she was made a Companion of the Royal Society.
During her time as Commissioner, Jan has investigated a wide range of environmental issues. She became world-famous in New Zealand when she said we were lucky to have 1080 and should use more of it.
In this lecture, Jan will share her approach to the role and how this has developed over time. She will explain, inter alia, how she prioritises the work of her office, how she values information, and what she has learned about dealing with the media.
When & Where
Wednesday, 27 July 2016
GBLT2, Old Government Building,
Pipitea Campus, Victoria University of Wellington
- RSNZ Wellington Branch is proud to present a Public Talk by Dr Catherine Knight on the Environmental History of New Zealand’s Rivers: “Our rivers: learning from the past to create a better future”
- Explaining the Colours of the Spectrum to your Child
- Royal Society of New Zealand Wellington Branch Conference Scholarships 2017
- Help! We need a Treasurer!
- Royal Society of New Zealand’s 2016 Research Honours: Award Winners
- RT @royalsocietynz: First of 2 #JRSNZ issues about New Zealand's Scientific Heritage online now @RKPriestley @gnsscience @VicUniWgtn… https://t.co/NFuV9sR6H8, Apr 12
- RT @sciblogsnz: Royal Society of New Zealand kicks off 150th celebrations - https://t.co/Hn7a8TgAZ3 https://t.co/BXvP0IqEua, Apr 06
- Science Express @ Te Papa https://t.co/VF8WT3fAXY https://t.co/ElK20XHJ3l, Apr 06
- RT @VicUniWgtn: ‘Bird brain’ shouldn’t be an insult anymore, says #VicUniWgtn’s Dr Rachael Shaw—because #birds can do amazing thing… https://t.co/sDRe50LtCS, Mar 24
- RT @pjlester: @smcnz Congratulations Rebecca @RKPriestley on your PM Science prize! And to Dianne Christenson for the Science Tea… https://t.co/PU0rL1Mn9a, Mar 21
Wellington Branch Facebook Page