- Events and Newsletters
- Our Science Classes
- Wgtn Science Groups
The annual scientific public lecture held by the Wellington Branch of the Royal Society of New Zealand
Dr Jan Wright: Parliamentary Commissioner for the Environment
Reflections on a decade as Parliament’s environmental advisor
Dr Jan Wright was sworn in as Parliamentary Commissioner for the Environment for a five-year term on 5 March 2007 and reappointed for a second term in 2012.
Jan has a multidisciplinary background with a BSc(Hons) in Physics from Canterbury, a Masters degree in Energy and Resources from Berkeley in California, and a PhD in Public Policy from Harvard. Last year she was made a Companion of the Royal Society.
During her time as Commissioner, Jan has investigated a wide range of environmental issues. She became world-famous in New Zealand when she said we were lucky to have 1080 and should use more of it.
In this lecture, Jan will share her approach to the role and how this has developed over time. She will explain, inter alia, how she prioritises the work of her office, how she values information, and what she has learned about dealing with the media.
When & Where
Wednesday, 27 July 2016
GBLT2, Old Government Building,
Pipitea Campus, Victoria University of Wellington
- Blogging on Bees
- Dispatches from Continent Seven: science communication and Antarctica: 6pm, 25th May, RSNZ, Aronui Lecture Theatre, 11 Turnbull Street, Thorndon.
- RSNZ Wellington Branch is proud to present a Public Talk by Dr Catherine Knight on the Environmental History of New Zealand’s Rivers: “Our rivers: learning from the past to create a better future”
- Explaining the Colours of the Spectrum to your Child
- Royal Society of New Zealand Wellington Branch Conference Scholarships 2017
- https://t.co/ynPw5pDH14, Aug 04
- Science Express @ Te Papa https://t.co/CtG1vhZiZn https://t.co/ElK20XHJ3l, Aug 03
- RT @labinaboxnz: @labinaboxnz at Makara Model School near Wellington today. Kids engaging with chemistry. Thanks @curiousmindsnz and… https://t.co/i1ettFNnxN, Aug 03
- RT @royalsocietynz: See @PeterGluckman's thought-provoking speech given for @RSNZWellington on how we weigh risks & benefits of new tec… https://t.co/2RY6oMfNcp, Aug 03
- Thanks @PeterGluckman for your talk on New life science technologies & social license tonight. Public needs to be i… https://t.co/t59SOWtGdp, Aug 02
Wellington Branch Facebook Page