- Events and Newsletters
- Our Science Classes
- Wgtn Science Groups
The annual scientific public lecture held by the Wellington Branch of the Royal Society of New Zealand
Dr Jan Wright: Parliamentary Commissioner for the Environment
Reflections on a decade as Parliament’s environmental advisor
Dr Jan Wright was sworn in as Parliamentary Commissioner for the Environment for a five-year term on 5 March 2007 and reappointed for a second term in 2012.
Jan has a multidisciplinary background with a BSc(Hons) in Physics from Canterbury, a Masters degree in Energy and Resources from Berkeley in California, and a PhD in Public Policy from Harvard. Last year she was made a Companion of the Royal Society.
During her time as Commissioner, Jan has investigated a wide range of environmental issues. She became world-famous in New Zealand when she said we were lucky to have 1080 and should use more of it.
In this lecture, Jan will share her approach to the role and how this has developed over time. She will explain, inter alia, how she prioritises the work of her office, how she values information, and what she has learned about dealing with the media.
When & Where
Wednesday, 27 July 2016
GBLT2, Old Government Building,
Pipitea Campus, Victoria University of Wellington
- Dispatches from Continent Seven: science communication and Antarctica: 6pm, 25th May, RSNZ, Aronui Lecture Theatre, 11 Turnbull Street, Thorndon.
- RSNZ Wellington Branch is proud to present a Public Talk by Dr Catherine Knight on the Environmental History of New Zealand’s Rivers: “Our rivers: learning from the past to create a better future”
- Explaining the Colours of the Spectrum to your Child
- Royal Society of New Zealand Wellington Branch Conference Scholarships 2017
- Help! We need a Treasurer!
- Fantastic lecture last week by Rebecca Priestley and it was great to see so many of you there. Hope to see all of... https://t.co/SNI8vTRvUT, Jun 01
- Science Express @ Te Papa https://t.co/6Rd4qpn10T https://t.co/ElK20XHJ3l, Jun 01
- Thanks to @RKPriestley for a great talk tonight. A little bit of penguin poetry, some Antarctic history and science… https://t.co/L6sMLxsUCV, May 25
- Don't forget about tonight's lecture - we hope to see you there! https://t.co/jl7WM6t94c, May 25
- RT @VicUniWgtn: Hear #VicUniWgtn expert science communicator @RKPriestley talk all things Antarctica at @RSNZWellington 6pm tomorrow https://t.co/NinrIfwLdO, May 23
Wellington Branch Facebook Page