- Events and Newsletters
- Our Science Classes
- Wgtn Science Groups
Outstanding Wellington-based researchers have received prestigious medals at the Royal Society of New Zealand’s 2016 Research Honours event
Three Wellington-based Researchers received prestigious medals at the Royal Society of New Zealand’s 2016 Research Honours event in November awards ceremony at Christchurch.
The Health Research Council of New Zealand awarded the Liley Medal for outstanding contributions to health and medical science jointly to Professor Mike Berridge from the Malaghan Institute of Medical Research and Dr Paul Young from Capital & Coast District Health Board and Medical Research Institute of New Zealand. Professor Berridge received the medal as one of the lead researchers in a landmark paper that was first to demonstrate movement of mitrochondrial DNA between cells in animal tumours. Dr Young received the Liley Medal for leading the largest clinical trial ever conducted exclusively in New Zealand’s intensive care units, comparing two intravenous fluid therapies.
Research into seaweeds has earned Professor Wendy Nelson MNZM FRSNZ, of NIWA and University of Auckland, the Hutton Medal from the Royal Society of New Zealand for plant sciences. She has significantly expanded knowledge of New Zealand seaweeds and the evolutionary relationships between seaweeds worldwide. She has also campaigned against seaweed pests and advanced understanding of the ecological importance of coral seaweeds and their vulnerability to climate change.
Professor Richard Beasley CNZM FRSNZ, Medical Research Institute of New Zealand and Capital & Coast District Health Board, has been awarded the Sir Charles Hercus Medal by the Royal Society of New Zealand for his wide ranging contributions to advancing respiratory medicine and health science research in New Zealand, which have had a major impact on clinical practice and public health.
- Science Express @ Te Papa https://t.co/k42f7ymbSN https://t.co/ElK20XHJ3l, Dec 07
- Science Express @ Te Papa https://t.co/we8L1YkX2w https://t.co/ElK20XHJ3l, Nov 02
- https://t.co/1iFlX4pIin, Oct 26
- A triple treat of @VicUniWgtn Biology students, who were awarded RS Wellington scholarships, at Cafe Scientifique t… https://t.co/EP8aiYAPT3, Oct 26
- Thank you to the members who came out on an otherwise distracting evening last Thursday, 19th October, for our... https://t.co/p7mqD5HioP, Oct 22
Wellington Branch Facebook Page