- Events and Newsletters
- Our Science Classes
- Wgtn Science Groups
Outstanding Wellington-based researchers have received prestigious medals at the Royal Society of New Zealand’s 2016 Research Honours event
Three Wellington-based Researchers received prestigious medals at the Royal Society of New Zealand’s 2016 Research Honours event in November awards ceremony at Christchurch.
The Health Research Council of New Zealand awarded the Liley Medal for outstanding contributions to health and medical science jointly to Professor Mike Berridge from the Malaghan Institute of Medical Research and Dr Paul Young from Capital & Coast District Health Board and Medical Research Institute of New Zealand. Professor Berridge received the medal as one of the lead researchers in a landmark paper that was first to demonstrate movement of mitrochondrial DNA between cells in animal tumours. Dr Young received the Liley Medal for leading the largest clinical trial ever conducted exclusively in New Zealand’s intensive care units, comparing two intravenous fluid therapies.
Research into seaweeds has earned Professor Wendy Nelson MNZM FRSNZ, of NIWA and University of Auckland, the Hutton Medal from the Royal Society of New Zealand for plant sciences. She has significantly expanded knowledge of New Zealand seaweeds and the evolutionary relationships between seaweeds worldwide. She has also campaigned against seaweed pests and advanced understanding of the ecological importance of coral seaweeds and their vulnerability to climate change.
Professor Richard Beasley CNZM FRSNZ, Medical Research Institute of New Zealand and Capital & Coast District Health Board, has been awarded the Sir Charles Hercus Medal by the Royal Society of New Zealand for his wide ranging contributions to advancing respiratory medicine and health science research in New Zealand, which have had a major impact on clinical practice and public health.
- Thank you to the members who came out on an otherwise distracting evening last Thursday, 19th October, for our... https://t.co/p7mqD5HioP, 22 hours ago
- The Discovery of Science, a blog by Brian Jones. Check out https://t.co/LPz9jldK2I, Oct 16
- Another interesting blog, this time from our Vice-President and former President of the Wellington Branch, Brian... https://t.co/CDBOPCW1De, Oct 15
- Science Express @ Te Papa https://t.co/lpO2oXUSh7 https://t.co/ElK20XHJ3l, Oct 05
- RT @royalsocietynz: Editing them out, panel discussion on using gene editing to eliminate pests... #genetalk https://t.co/kxIqTXWoda, Sep 28
Wellington Branch Facebook Page