- Events and Newsletters
- Our Science Classes
- Wgtn Science Groups
RSNZ Wellington Branch is proud to present a Public Talk by Dr Catherine Knight on the Environmental History of New Zealand’s Rivers: “Our rivers: learning from the past to create a better future”
By welling On March 7, 2017
Wednesday 22nd March 2017 at 6pm, Aronui Lecture Theatre, Royal Society of New Zealand building, 11 Turnbull Street
The government recently announced a proposal to make more of our rivers ‘swimmable’ by 2040 – it has attracted significant controversy, demonstrating the level of concern about the state of our rivers among ordinary New Zealanders. In this talk, Dr Catherine Knight, author of New Zealand’s Rivers: An environmental history, will provide important context to this debate by presenting our complex – and often conflicted – history with rivers since humans first settled in Aotearoa New Zealand. She will argue that knowing our history is an important foundation to forging a better future for our environment and our relationship with it.
Information about presenter: Catherine Knight is an environmental historian. New Zealand’s Rivers: An environmental history (Canterbury University Press, 2016) has been longlisted for the Ockham New Zealand Book Awards 2017 and was selected as one of the Listener’s Best Books for 2016. Her previous book, Ravaged Beauty: An environmental history of the Manawatu (Dunmore Press, 2014), won the J.M. Sherrard major award for excellence in regional and local history, and Palmerston North Heritage Trust’s inaugural award for the best work of history relating to the Manawatu. Catherine works in environmental policy and lives on the Kapiti Coast with her family.
- RSNZ Wellington Branch is proud to present a Public Talk by Dr Catherine Knight on the Environmental History of New Zealand’s Rivers: “Our rivers: learning from the past to create a better future”
- Explaining the Colours of the Spectrum to your Child
- Royal Society of New Zealand Wellington Branch Conference Scholarships 2017
- Help! We need a Treasurer!
- Royal Society of New Zealand’s 2016 Research Honours: Award Winners
- RT @royalsocietynz: First of 2 #JRSNZ issues about New Zealand's Scientific Heritage online now @RKPriestley @gnsscience @VicUniWgtn… https://t.co/NFuV9sR6H8, Apr 12
- RT @sciblogsnz: Royal Society of New Zealand kicks off 150th celebrations - https://t.co/Hn7a8TgAZ3 https://t.co/BXvP0IqEua, Apr 06
- Science Express @ Te Papa https://t.co/VF8WT3fAXY https://t.co/ElK20XHJ3l, Apr 06
- RT @VicUniWgtn: ‘Bird brain’ shouldn’t be an insult anymore, says #VicUniWgtn’s Dr Rachael Shaw—because #birds can do amazing thing… https://t.co/sDRe50LtCS, Mar 24
- RT @pjlester: @smcnz Congratulations Rebecca @RKPriestley on your PM Science prize! And to Dianne Christenson for the Science Tea… https://t.co/PU0rL1Mn9a, Mar 21
Wellington Branch Facebook Page